Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Problem in Paradise

I've been operating everything at the bunker with a curious bunch of extention cords and jumpers from the temporary power pole. I spent a lot of time and put up a very expensive service drop called an all-in-one made by Square-D. I would run a jumper from the temporary to the drop and have almost all I needed for working in the bunker. When I finally called the electric service provider to move the meter and get rid of the temp they responded the same day. Then the problems began. The installer hadn't seen that type of breaker box (remember this is a Square D) and wouldn't swap the service. After checking with his boss it seems that the problem was not with the box itself but the meter socket. I needed "other than a ring type receptical", no problem, but then he called out a specific brand. This is a well known brand but in the city they haven't used this brand (no known reason) for years and I had to check with all of the suppliers to finaly find one. The one I found required me to size up the service and install a new breaker box. I moved the box into the bunker (the old/new one was outside) and this required me to drill a 4" hole through 24' of concrete. After drilling several hours in the cold I had the pleasure of trying to bend 3/0 wire to make two 90 degree turns. I gave up after I hit myself in the face with the free end. Next trip.
I still have to get the power company to put in the meter.


No comments: