Sunday, September 07, 2008

Made it




Finally made it this weekend. My arch looks pretty good and next trip I will add some color to it and the fence. The frame is made over a skeleton of wire and styrofoam and anchored with rebar at the posts. I was supposed to melt a channel into the foam with a torch in order to run re-bar around both sides of the arch. Forgot the torch, so I just threaded wire through the arch and mounted it on the surface. Time will tell if I did the right thing but it seems solid. Not counting the labor and the drive the whole shebang only cost $50.00 so if I have to rebuild I can do it on the cheap and nothing lost.

1 comment:

Eric Siegmund said...

Man, I'm lovin' what you're doing with the house! I think the arch will hold up just fine; it only has to support its own weight, so sturdiness shouldn't be an issue and I would think the rebar would provide sufficient reinforcement against crosswinds.

What's the name of that pointy mountain in the background? I'm trying to get my bearings and the locale looks familiar but I'm still drawing a blank.